Transfer Evaluation Guideline & Matrix

Please be aware that updated transcripts from ALL PREVIOUSLY ATTENDED COLLEGES must be sent with your application. Not listing all institutions, both U.S. and international, that you have attended/are attending can result in a loss of credit and dismissal. It is your responsibility to make sure an official transcript from each institution, including LDS Institute, is submitted two weeks before the application deadline. Students may be asked to provide course descriptions and/or syllabi for courses in which substitutions are requested. Transfer students are encouraged to meet with their Academic Advisor once they arrive on campus. The Academic Advisor will submit substitutions requests to the appropriate department. 

As a transfer student, what General Education Courses should I register for?

Requirements for General Education for Students transferring with an Associate's Degree

Associate’s degrees (AAS, AGS, AS, AA, ALS) from accredited colleges and Universities will be accepted to complete GE requirements, with the additional course work of: Advanced Writing English 315.

Associate’s degrees of Applied Science and 2 year Diplomas from accredited colleges and Universities will be accepted, however, they will be required to follow our current Holokai program, our 2 minors and 1 major program. Some classes taken at previous universities may transfer for credit and meet these requirements.

Before Fall 2015:

If you have an Associate's Degree from a school with a Transfer Agreement then the one General Education class that you will need to take is an Interdisciplinary Studies (IDS) course. You are ready to focus on planning your major classes within your six semesters in residence. To help you get started we have sample Major Academic Plans (MAPs) that you can see at 

If you have an Associate's degree from a school without a Transfer Agreement then you will need to complete an Advanced Writing (English 315) and an Interdisciplinary Studies (IDS) course. However, those coming from Hawaii Community Colleges have additional requirements. When you arrive you can plan to meet with your Academic Advisor. Once your transcripts arrive and you give her copies of course descriptions and syllabi, she will evaluate your transcript and make a proposal to the General Education Committee of the remaining courses you need to complete.

If you are transferring without an Associate's Degree then you will also need to have your transfer credits evaluated before you can have a final count of your semesters in residence. You can get a general sense of the semesters you will have in residence here. You can see BYU-Hawaii's General Education requirements here. You can plan to register for classes that you clearly know that you have not taken.

What courses will be accepted as transfer credits?

Application of transfer credit will be determined on a course by course equivalency basis. Transfer courses with a C- grade or better will be accepted by BYU-Hawaii as general education credit, major credit or elective credit. Credit for courses of a remedial nature (usually numbered 99 and below) will not be transferable. BYU-Hawaii does not transfer Grade Point Averages (GPA) when transferring credits from other institutions.

When courses are evaluated as transferable, credit will be given for the credit listed on the transcript and may not be the same number of credits the equivalent BYUH class is worth.

For example, a 4 credit transferrable course that is equivalent to a 3 credit BYUH course may be evaluated as 3 credits + 1 general elective credit equaling 4 total credits for that course, unless otherwise specified.  Conversely,  a 3 credit transferrable course that is equivalent to a 4 credit BYUH course will be evaluated as 3 credits only.

If transferring prior to Fall 2015, with an Associate Degree from schools with a Transfer Agreement, credits will transfer to BYU-Hawaii having satisfied all of their General Education requirements with the exception of an Interdisciplinary Studies course. Those transferring with an Associate degree from schools without a Transfer Agreement will need to complete an Advanced Writing and an Interdisciplinary Studies course. However, Hawaii Community Colleges have additional requirements.

Students will be notified in writing of the general education requirements remaining to be completed. The student's major department/school evaluates courses for the major requirements.

Where do I send my transcript?

Please send all official and sealed transcripts to:

BYU-Hawaii Admissions Office
BYU–Hawaii #1973
55-220 Kulanui St.
Laie, HI 96762

Advanced Placement (AP) Credits?

See AP Credit Matrix for more details. click here.

If I already have a four-year degree, can I earn another one at BYU-Hawaii?

In keeping with its mission to educate as many students as possible, BYU-Hawaii does not admit students for a second bachelor's degree.

Transfer Evaluation Matrix: Courses that have already been approved as equivalents to BYU-H courses. (see below)